If you are anything like me, doing traditional cardio is really not that enjoyable. However, I do know the importance of cardio and I love the endorphin rush I get from it, so I do ensure that I do it weekly.
Here is an example of how I incorporate cardio into my weekly workout schedule. I use mainly body weight exercises because there are so many studies coming out showing how this type of cardio is even more effective than steady-state cardio. You can do this from home since you only need a set of dumbbells. No dumbbells? Grab some cans of food from your pantry!
Do the following exercises in a row with little rest in between:
– 1 minute mountain climbers
– 15 squat to shoulder press
– 10 burpees
– 30 curtsy lunges (or regular)
– 20 cross unders (plank position, knee to opposite elbow) + 30 sec plank hold
– 15 jump squats
– 12 push ups with in + out jump with feet
– 1 minute skater jumps
– 5 man makers (or 1 minute mountain climbers)
Rest 1-2 minutes.
Repeat circuit 3-4 times.
I also like to finish this workout with some ab/core exercises. Here is a few examples:
– sit-up with medicine ball on chest
– russain twist
– leg raises on bench
– side plank lifts