If you don’t participate in Taco Tuesday, you are seriously missing out.
It is one of my favourite dinner’s every week since it is so easy to make and there are a ton of different ways to do “taco tuesday”.
Today I am going to share with you one of my all time favs- DIY Taco Bowl! I always strive to have at least one big as* salad every day and this is probably one of my favs!
Before jumping into the recipe, I want to comment on why tacos sometimes get a bad rep. Most of the time, taco tuesday can turn into “fat overload”. Between the ground meet, the cheese, the tortillas and the sauce, there is potential that you consume 4-5 servings of fat!
While I don’t think there is anything wrong with consuming fat in your diet, you need to be aware that fats are very calorie dense and therefore you need to make sure you have your portions under control.
Here are some of my tips for reducing your fat intake in this bowl:
- Choose a lean cut of ground meat
- If you want cheese, make it small portion (1-2 tbsp)
- Try to find a greek yogurt based dressing OR skip the dressing all together and use lots of salsa
- Try replacing your tortilla chips with roasted chickpeas. If you realllyyyy like the tortilla chips, ensure it is just a small handful.
Now for the recipe!
- 1 serving of ground meat cooked in taco seasoning (I like beef, turkey or chicken.. really whatever I have on hand)
- Chopped lettuce
- Chopped cherry tomatoes
- Chopped red onions
- Hot peppers
- 1 serving of roasted chickpeas (I like these ones)
- 1 serving of greek yogurt salad dressing or salsa
Combine all ingredients together and enjoy!